Re: [TowerTalk] Loosening Al tubing to Al Tubing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loosening Al tubing to Al Tubing
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 14:03:02 -0400
After the usual wait, PB Blaster, or Mouse Milk loosen the corrosion and provide a lubricant. Metal fragments, depend on size. Over time, they tend to corrode faster than the tubing, My C19XR uses a row of 3 rivets with one quite close to the end, but the factory holes have been deburred. Disassembly just requires carefully drilling out the head without drilling into the tube. They are 1/8th" rivets, so a sharp, 1/4 inch drill works well at removing the heads, A small drill, or drift punch easily pushes the shank into the tube, leaving a clean hole. Fine Scotchbright pads will shine up the outside of the inner tube and a small wire brush for cleaning tubes that size usually works well. Use lots of Noalox when reassembling.

The scratches may, or may not be a problem depending on the depth. Deep scratches tend to have ridges along the edges. Just smooth off the ridges along the scratches. before reassembly.

73

Roger (K8RI)