Re: [TowerTalk] Sad news N5IA SK in tower fall (Shawn Donley - N3AE)

To: <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad news N5IA SK in tower fall (Shawn Donley - N3AE)
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 14:54:18 -0400
When raising and lowering the weight you'd have problems with it hitting a
ring and not being able to get past it, or getting caught inside a ring
between the inside edge and the tower face.

The pulley at the top would have to be rated for a man-load, too.

I'm not wild about the belay system because it relies on the belay man. For
jobs requiring hours on the tower, the belay man is going to get bored and
may lose concentration. If he screws up, you could die.

Yes, ring-mounted rotors are a problem, but it's possible to deal with them.
I think the best safety climb system for rings would be one of the rail
systems designed for climbing ladders. They're relatively low profile, so
when mounted on the tower face they wouldn't stick out far enough to hit the
inside of each ring. The rails come in 10' sections, so it's easy to
customize a system and install it yourself. A galvanized rail kit for my
tower would cost about $1,300, not counting the ascender.

Unfortunately, it looks like the rail systems require a minimum rung
diameter of 3/4". The cross-brace diameter on my Rohn 55 is less than 1/2".
My guess is that the rail manufacturers don't want you to attach them towers
because the cross braces, aren't as resistant to bending (or welds breaking)
as ladder rungs. There are clamps that attach to the ladder sides instead,
but they don't look like they'd fit tower legs. Maybe another manufacturer
has a leg-clamp that would work. If anyone knows of a rail system compatible
with Rohn 55, let me know.

A cable system can be used with rings by doing the same thing -- running it
through the rings between the face and inner edge of each ring. But it
depends on how far the top and bottom cable mounts stick out from the tower
face -- it can't be greater than the distance from the tower face to the
inside of the ring. I can't recall right now how much distance that is, but
it's only a few inches -- maybe 6 inches? It looks like the TufTug system
sticks out more than that, but I can't tell from the photos and they don't
provide specs online. This is not an item I would homebrew, so it would
require finding a commercial product with standoffs that don't stick out too
far. If someone knows of such a product, let me know.

Even if suitable cable mounts can be found, it seems likely that when
stressed with the outward pull of a climber, a 100' cable would hit the
inside of the next ring up, risking abrasion over the long run. Probably the
best cable solution for my tower would be to run three separate 30-foot
cables, one from the bottom to the first ring, and one each between the
bottom/middle rings and the middle/top rings. It would be nice to have
another 10-foot cable between the top ring and the top of the tower, but
that's gravy. I haven't done any research into other products, but the top
mount of the TufTug system looks large (maybe taking up a good bit of the 30
feet) and probably too expensive for this approach. Their fixed-length
systems are too long (80') and I don't know if they would make a custom
system, If so, my guess is that it would be expensive.

As you probably guessed, with all these solutions you have to unclip below
the ring and clip on above the ring. This will require climbing with a
Y-lanyard, but it would only be needed when climbing over rings or working
on the tower away from the safety cable or rail (which implies that you need
a Y-lanyard even with a safety climb system on a tower without rings.)
Nonetheless, given that without a safety climb rail or cable I have to clip
and unclip every two or three cross-braces, any one of the systems would be
a major relief in terms of fatigue and hand muscle cramping.

If anyone knows of a rail or cable system that would work, let me know!

73, Dick WC1M