Re: [TowerTalk] To get a truly balanced antenna feed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] To get a truly balanced antenna feed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:21:59 -0700
On Tue,6/21/2016 9:31 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
Didn't you once say "there is no such thing as a balanced antenna"?

Yep, but I was speaking more in terms of perfection -- i.e., that in the real world, most practical antennas are unbalanced by their surroundings, even if we attempt to make them a balanced antenna and feed them with 2-wire line and a so-called balance tuner. It is that imbalance that causes common mode current. If the imbalance is relatively small, and if the antenna is resonant and fed with coax, we can choke it effectively.

73, Jim