Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, Reflector -tower <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns
From: Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 16:56:29 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Rick,
Thanks for taking the time to provide such a thoughtful response! Much
appreciated.
So, let me clarify a couple of points:
1) The use case for a universal choke is at the output of the amplifiers and at
the base of my tower. I run a SO2R switch and all bands go via one of the two
feed lines from the shack to the SO2R switch at the base of the tower. While
using different materials for different bands certainly makes sense (and is
practical), it won't work for a true honest to God SO2R setup.
2) The reality of commercial availability did hit me fairly quickly, so I
decided to limit my choices to materials that are readily available- both 31
and 52 meet the requirement. You can buy large OD mix 52 toroids from the usual
distributors.
What I am wondering is if using different mixes in the same choke would
"flatten" the curve and extend it across the entire 160 to 10 m range. The
second question I wonder is if I can stack the two different mixes or that
would be undesirable and they should be in series.

Rudy N2WQ      From: Richard (Rick) Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>