Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fair rite materials for choke baluns
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 10:32:52 -0700
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 02:40:24 -0400
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>

It's my understanding that a choke of  (theoretical) infinite Z does not
disconnect the antenna. It would reduce the current flowing on the
outside of the coax (common mode) to zero at that point. It has no
effect on the interior currents

The choke does nothing to the balance of the antenna. It just stops
(more correctly reduces) the CM current caused by a reasonable imbalance
such as a sloping dipole, or that caused by nearby objects.  The greater
the imbalance the greater the power dissipated in the core material.
The difference between sloping, center fed dipoles on 80 Vs 40 is very
pronounced
Different core materials will likely have different dissipation values.

73

Roger (K8RI)

##  IF your sloping  half wave dipole is  UN balanced...then why insert a CMC
at the feed point at all ??

Think of the choke as being equivalent to putting an insulator to break up a guy wire. the idea is to prevent segments of the feedline from coupling to the antenna and reradiating because of the current induced in the shield.

In some cases, there's no real point in trying to break up the feedline (a 100 foot piece of coax running alongside a 100ft tower... the tower is the big conductor in the near field of the antenna)

If you've got a sloping dipole, and the feedline comes off at right angles, in free space, the coupling is small, and, you're right, probably don't need a choke at the feedpoint.

on a real antenna, where the feedline probably isn't exactly perpendicular, and there's a big conductive supporting structure, and there's a somewhat conductive ground plane underneath.. maybe there is a significant current induced, maybe there isn't.

One could easily model this and *see* if there's significant current on the feedline in a non-ideal scenario. If I ran the model, and I saw that the current everywhere in the wire that represents the feedline was <1/10th the current at the dipole feed, I'd call it done and go home. Nobody is looking for 20dB nulls from a dipole, and that's what that stray current would do.

It's sort of the same as the "is that rain gutter/downspout" going to cause a problem modeling.