Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AES SK
From: Michael OBrien <k0myw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 15:22:31 +0000 (UTC)
Those of us who are old enough and who lived close enough fondly remember the
original Henry Radio store in Butler, Missouri.

A visit there gave hams a chance to visit with the knowledgeable staff and to
twist the knobs on the several rigs in the demonstration room. They offered
excellent repair services. And Bob's (W0ARA) trade-in policies, prices and
generous payment plans were legendary.

It is interesting to note that, starting 'way back in the 1930s, Bob served
hams throughout the country (and perhaps beyond) without benefit of the
Internet or UPS or FedEx. His willingness to deal lured business far away from
little Butler. Much of the shipping of heavy boatanchors was done by bus and
sometimes by rail. If I remember correctly, when Henry Radio finally closed, it
had been the longest continuous advertiser in QST. In some respects, Bob (and
his brother, Ted, who eventually opened the branch in Los Angeles) were
forerunners to what has become today's e-commerce.

I had satisfactory dealings with AES, but in more recent times have dealt
mainly with DX Engineering, R&L Electronics and occasionally Universal Radio.
However, my favorite method is to visit one of the few independent
brick-and-mortar shops still in operation hereabouts, Associated Radio in
Kansas City (Overland Park).

The internet and the online shopping opportunities it has brought us are
wonderful -- but it is sad to see personalized, face-to-face interactions over
the counters of ham stores disappear due to competition with modern
merchandising.

Mike, K0MYW