Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax and Control Lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax and Control Lines
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 12:33:13 -0400

I would like feedback on the pros and cons of running cables
elevated versus underground. Thanks in advance.

The only time I would consider elevated cables is if they were
covered by a metallic "ice bridge" (and lightning shield) that
was bonded to lightning ground on both ends of the run (like a
broadcast FM/TV installation).

If a tower takes a direct strike, the voltage will divide as the
ratio of the tower above/below the place the cable exits the tower.
By failing to take the cable completely to ground and bond the
shield to the tower at ground, one can put several KV on the shield
of the cable ... I would not want that even on the shack entrance
panel.

I've seen the damage lightning can do even to well bonded FM/TV
rigid cables where they enter/exit a tower (and once had to replace
branch lines, power divider and a couple hundred feet of 6" line
due to lightning damage) ... the relatively minor effort to bring
amateur lines all the way to the ground is cheap insurance!

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV