Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax and Control Lines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Routing Coax and Control Lines
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 22:19:01 -0400
You didn't state the mass and construction of the UFER ground.
Typically, more than one ground rod per leg is used unless the UFER is quite large. It's quite difficult to get the bottom coax grounding, at, or below grade. Moisture, soil, water, and/or, snow may dictate the necessity of mounting said grounding somewhat above grade. My bottom grounds are about 6" above grade which often puts them as much as 2' below the surface of the snow.

Because there is so little loss at HF, I prefer to use thoroughly weatherproofed bulkhead connectors for grounding the shields. Each one adds up, but even with as many as 10 connectors, the loss is still minuscule.

73

Roger (K8RI)