Re: [TowerTalk] 20m stack switching question

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 20m stack switching question
From: Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 04:39:27 +0000
On 20m I have a 4 high and a 3 high 20m stack. All towers can have any
combination using modified stack match style boxes with a 25 to 50 ohm
unun. The mismatch, even using 4 antennas in // is quite acceptable to me.
Then each tower goes thru a 2 position stack box.

My thoughts...

It is essential here to take the top antenna out of the mix when rain or
snow static hits.

At this location the low 20m yagi in the stack seems to (if it does
anything) reduce a weak signal or add noise, either way the effect isn't
useful.

If contesting is a major interest, having all the antennas in the same
direction is a BIG disadvantage.  Geographical diversity is most
beneficial, esp from this signal starved part of the world.  Our normal 20m
contest set is top 2 on Eu, top 2 on other stak into JA, and lower yagis
into east and west coast areas. All lower yagis are on side mounts that
cover the aforementioned areas.

73 Don
VE6JY