Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA disc....

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA disc....
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 09:25:10 -0700
On Fri,7/15/2016 4:15 AM, Rudy Bakalov via TowerTalk wrote:
Second, the thought behind the proposal is to further development of otherwise
stale software.
--
By the way, the statement about paying for the right to use the software is a
slippery slope too. The issue is lack of support. In the past I did have

I don't think I would describe HFTA as "stale" -- the issues with using it are largely related to obtaining the data for it, which are the result of how agencies of governments, including the US, provide the data online. That has required support, and N6BV and ARRL have provided it in the form of updates to the procedures that are posted on the ARRL website. Also, N6BV has done at least one online tutorial on use of the software. It was hosted by PVRC, a major contest club roughly centered around DC.

Yes, it could be a bit more automated, perhaps in the manner that AC6LA has done for W7EL's EZNEC.

What I'd really like to see is a program like HFTA for vertically polarized antennas. When I suggested it to Dean several years ago, he told me that Parkinson's had begun some deterioration, so that he no longer felt able to work at the needed level of detail. I've suggested that project to another engineer with the math and antenna chops to do it. We'll see.

73, Jim K9YC