Re: [TowerTalk] Engineering

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Engineering
From: Mark Spencer via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 11:02:11 -0700
Sorry for the off topic post but as a successful holder of a BA in political
science (at least in my view (:  ) who was able to stop working on a full time
basis as a technology professional before I was 50 I believe I received value
from that degree.  I found out after I was hired into my first real job in the
technology sector that my BA played a major role in my selection.

Subsequently I got a 2 year technical diploma and later an MBA, along with
getting married, buying real estate, starting my own business, helping my wife
raise a family, etc...  I'll skip the details of my career other than to say
before I turned 40 I was able to meet and then surpass the initial goals I set
for myself after graduation.

I agree with the comments made by others that the technology profession (at
least in my experience) demands a lot of effort (as well as results.)

Have I encountered people who have questioned my choice of my first degree,
yes.

In hindsight I believe the extra efforts I chose to make to prove my abilities
in a technical field played a major role in my career.  At times I felt I had
to work a bit harder and dig a bit deeper into issues and in hindsight I
believe it paid off for me.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ