Re: [TowerTalk] Does prevailing grounding scheme promote large ground lo

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Does prevailing grounding scheme promote large ground loop
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:17:28 -0700
" . . relatively lightning-free coastal Oregon . . ."

Well, that bit of information is true (http://www.lightningmaps.org is a great site to monitor). One of the hams up in Lincoln City feeds into this system. On very rare days we may experience some sheet lightning but I've not heard of anyone on the coast experiencing a tower strike. Most tower grounding I've seen here on the coast is unsophisticated compared to some of the systems you folks are posting.

On the ocean side of the OR Coast Range, if you are going to camp, better bring dry wood with you!!!!! When we retired we had looked at land to the N of Cuba, NM as a place to live. Hummmmmm, maybe the old wet and cool OR coast wasn't a bad choice. No heat issues here!! We had a heat wave here a week ago, temp got up into the mid 60's.

As to corrosion and rust, I quickly learned every local source and not so locally for SS, corrosion resistant Al and corrosion blocking compounds. Much of the knowledge base on all of this comes from the marine outfitters for the fishing/crabbing fleets in ports such as Newport, Charleston and Astoria.

Where ever you live, there is always something one has to deal with.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Dick Blumenstein