Re: [TowerTalk] Lockwasher Comparison

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lockwasher Comparison
From: Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:22:31 +0000 (UTC)
Thread lock compound isn't really permanent. Heat causes thread lock compound
to release.
I use Loctite 262 "High Strength Stud & Bearing Mount" to hold the shift levers
in place on my
racecar's A833 four speed. When it's time to R&R the gearbox, a propane torch
works to
heat it up, and the fasteners can then be removed. From Loctite FAQ:

Q:  I cannot get an assembly apart where a threadlocker was used. What solvent
will break the
threadlocker down?
A: No solvent will wick into the joint to break the threadlocker down. This is
either hand tool
removable at room temperature or if not, it requires high temperatures of
450-600°F to separate
parts.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC