Re: [TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 07:11:24 -0700
OK thanks Jim

Bob
K6UJ

On 9/1/16 9:52 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Yes, sort of, but you have to have seen one to recognize it. :) It's a two-piece connector, and both connections are soldered to the part that attaches to the cable. The second part screws onto the first part after it's been soldered. In the photo in the link below

http://www.androsmfg.com/products/n-connector.html

The second part is at the center of the top of the photo, the first part is right next to it on the left (with an integral hex nut to facilitate tightening the two pieces. There are two solder holes for the shield and one for the center conductor. Neither are visible in the photo.

After studying their webpage, I think that their UHF and F connectors are pretty conventional. But the N-connector is really something special. I've used it with a cable having a #10 solid center and shield diameter comparable to most RG8/213 and it fits quite nicely.

This company is basically a machine shop and was owned by a guy named Andros who was a ham. I spoke with him on the phone roughly five years ago when I found some of his connectors in the stash of an SK whose stuff I was helping his XYL turn into cash. I bought at least a dozen, maybe more, for my stash. A year or two ago, I called again and his son was running the place. I didn't ask about his dad. I should have. Names on the "contact us" page are different, so perhaps the biz has changed hands.

73, Jim K9YC