Re: [TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?

To: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DIN to coax connector?
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 08:51:56 -0500
Far be it for me to argue with someone in the industry, but…

The DIN install videos I’ve seen suggest the centre conductor is soldered into
a shallow well inside the connector, almost the way a conductor would be
soldered to the well inside a chassis-mount SO-239. Considering the centre
conductor of a PL-259 passes through to the end of the connector and is
soldered there, with perhaps a greater degree of conductor-solder-connector
contact to grip the conductor, and given the crimp-and-solder style PL-259s
employ a similar clamping scheme to DINs, I’m just curious about the statement
regarding mechanical superiority.

It seems the centre conductor might be the weak link. Can you clarify, Steve?

As for the crimp-crimp style PL-259s, is there a valid reason the instrux
typically warn against soldering the centre conductor?

73, kelly, ve4xt,