Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling long length of 7/8 hardline in conduit

To: mskobier@charter.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling long length of 7/8 hardline in conduit
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 06:47:13 -0700
I think this is all great advice - I'd add a bit more

Use pull tape or braided rope so you don't put twist into the cables when being pulled. Pull tape comes in various sizes and strengths, something around 3/4" sounds right. 7/16" braid would be ok. Polyester lines are fairly cheap on ebay.

Most important: install the biggest radius sweeps you can buy for the hardline. At least 48", 60" might be available. If the larger ones are only available sch 80 then the couplings might leave an edge to catch the pull so check the ID match. I second the idea of a separate conduit for other lines. With three x 3" conduit x 120' I have 2x LDF5 + 1x LDF4 in one, 2 x LDF4 and 1x LDF5, and control wires in a third.

There are end bushings that chafe guard the open ends, use them as the bare conduit edge easily strips insulation from wires. If you can suspend the hardline reel above the feed-in point this is much better.

If the 7/8 is AVA5 you need to be *extremely* careful because the very thin shield is easy to dent. LDF5 is much more forgiving. In either case the number of large radius bends you have isn't a problem, check the specs for minimum radius repeat bending life. I'm not a fan of adding conduit to the full length, too many chances for a dent or glue in the wrong place or dirt, especially with the length you are installing. Feeding thru the sweeps is tricky.

One post from a cell installer said they refuse delivery of any AVA reels shipped on their side since it is so easy to damage. Direct burial of 7/8 and larger AVA sounds very risky to me unless in a full sand bedding. You didn't mention the hardline you will install.

If you can borrow a capstan winch with a foot switch that is the most controllable means to adjust the pull rate and tension. How the pros do it. With a car or lawn tractor you have little feel for the tension. Another choice is to rig some blocks or chain fall above the pull out and pull in segments. If the tower is at the exit then this is easier.

I'd use a Kellems pull grip for the bundle. The pull Kellems have a swivel that further reduces the chance for twisting, check ebay for used ones.

A team of 4 or so is needed, talk it through and go slow with plenty of lube.

Something I haven't tried but might help is to prelube the conduit with a several mouse pulls both ways. Maybe a grouting sponge would be a good mouse.

Good luck,

Grant KZ1W