Re: [TowerTalk] Selecting Coax connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Selecting Coax connectors
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 01:57:49 -0400
I had an N-type double female coupler in the feedline to a 75 meter sloper short. Whether it was from an excursion far from resonance running the legal limit, or a nearby lightning strike? I don't know.

That connector shows OK with an ohmmeter but at 3.5MHz it's definitely shorted, even with 100W. It's a silver plate Amphenol for those perfectionists out there <:-)

I haven't hit the wrong antenna, mainly because I'm in the habit of using the AIM for tune up, tuning the amp into a dummy load before hitting the antenna with power. That way the amp is tuned properly for the antenna. I knw it's not necessary for the tribander, but it's a habit.

73

Roger (K8RI)