Re: [TowerTalk] station to station interference

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] station to station interference
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 02:36:58 -0400
I think Ed has some good advice.

Although this was for VHF the concept, already mentioned is applicable to mot any band and/or mode. The wide area repeater was located in my garage. The antenna (Shakespeare commercial) was on top of the 90 ft tower behind the garage. The tower had a tribander on it as well and was guyed with a small EHS (Don't remember the size, bit IIRC it was less than a quarter in, so probably 3/16ths. The guys were broken up with large insulators. The bottom ends had an insulator, maybe 5' or more from the anchor. That was 30 years ago, so recollections are a bit hazy<:-)

I discovered that rubbing an 8 or 10" screwdriver on the guy above the bottom insulator would completely wipe out a 50W mobile only 2 or so miles distant. So, "I think" somewhere in the system was a poor connection (shield to ground? Didn't even need to be on that bad, something in the wire antennas, or tribander) I did discover (later on) the SWR on a simple 3L tribander that used a fiber center insulator, with 1/4" SS screws into each side of the DE for a direct feed. No balun or matching network. One side was no longer making contact. That leaves me guessing that connection was probably the source of the de-sence.

Even old fences are notorious for rectification when located near the antennas
All our fences are plastic as the don't keep anything in, or out.

A garden is impossible as we have woods on two sides of the yard and the critters get the vegetables before we do. Our neighbors gave up too.

The neighbors still connected TV antenna pre-amp in the attic with no AB switch is now rare with cable and satellite, but there are cases where someone has left an outside TV antenna connected to the TV set along with the other service.

73

Roger (K8RI)