[TowerTalk] question on copper wire used for hairpins and the like...

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] question on copper wire used for hairpins and the like...
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 17:05:27 -0400
So ... Force12 used (uses!) bare copper wire as their hairpins. I have a 80/75
rotary dipole that has a hairpin made from bare #10 wire ... it is now 11 years
old and it looks dull – tarnished ... not corroded at all – just the dull brown
color that copper gets to be ... is there any reason why that can’t be reused
(I’m putting it back up)? I realize the skin effect will mean that only the
outside such-n-such micrometers are used for conductance ... but would any
resistance in the ‘tarnish’ factor in or would it appear to be the same today
as it was when brand new?

My guess is the answer is yes – it can be reused and it would continue to work
as if it were brand new ... and my one point of argument towards that fact is
that when it was up – for 7 years – there was no apparent change in the
operation of the antenna! The SWR didn’t change, which is what the hairpin
would most drastically effect ... the 2:1 bandwidth didn’t change noticeably
(Q) ...

thoughts and discussions...

Gary
K9RX