Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bent Leg

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bent Leg
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 03:10:46 -0400
Whoa! ROHN states that it may be necessary to enlarge the bolt holes with taper pin punches (do not drill out) They are definitely not a precision fit because of the galvanizing.
I had to open roughly half of the holes in my 45G.

They go on to state: Do not screw reticent bolts into the holes, but enlarge them first. Do not drill out the holes, use a taper pin punch to carefully enlarge the holes. The same taper pin punches recommended to be used to align the tower sections during alignment should work fine. Any grade 5 or better bolt will work including SS, although the ROHN bolt kit is recommended because of the galvanizing. Enlarging the holes with these punches leaves the galvanizing in tact.

On my 45G, I used the punches in the small bolt holes in "each" leg before installing the bolts.

If you use SS be sure to coat the threads with Never Seize. SS with out the Never Seize tends to weld itself together making it necessary to twist the bolts off which may require a lot of effort, making disassembly difficult.

When using compound on threads, tighten adequately BUT be careful not to over tighten and compress the legs. That tubing, by itself can be easily bent. The tower depends on the entire structure for maximum strength.

Welding usually weakens the thin tube, but the towers are "usually loaded far below their maximum and continue to work out their intended lifetimes.

73

Roger (K8RI)