[TowerTalk] Source of mineral oil for dummy loads in Canada?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Source of mineral oil for dummy loads in Canada?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 20:27:36 -0700
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 06:38:19 -0300
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

Where are VE's buying their mineral oil for their dummy loads?
I have visited several of the more popular local stores here lately and
other than a tiny 250ml or slightly larger bottle, can't seem to find
mineral oil in any kid of jug or big bottle.
I need to fill a "paint can type" of DL..
Where did you buy yours in Canada?

Tnx Mike VE9AA

##  get a hold of you local power company...and take your
1 gallon container with you....or a couple of clean /empty
4 Litre milk containers etc.   Go right to where their main
depot / trucks are located.   Dont mess about  with the phone
and email.   Explain to em what you need it for.

##  a local ham buddy here in town, who is an electrician, changed out
3000 imperial gallons for the military base here in town,  pallet loads of
55 gal drums of it.   Another ham here in town had 60 gallons of it, and new.

##  Dont mess with mineral oil.  Use real xfmr oil.  If mineral oil is used, the
dummy load has to be de-rated by quite a bit.

##  I built a HB dummy load  with 4 x 200 ohm paralleled globars in it.
7.5 imperial  gallons used... with a clean new steel paint can.   Local
paint store has dozens of em stacked.  They have a lip part way down from the
top, so we bought 2 of em, and cut just below the lip on one of em.  Then
brazed the
remaining top of the cut one....onto the top of the 2nd can. Then it ends up a
bit taller,
and more capacity.
The 5 gallon cans have a slight taper to em, and designed to be stacked inside
of each other,
so the lips all merge.   We required the extra height to handle the 12 inch
long globars.,,
and their associated mounting assy on the ends.   Then a single  7-16 DIN dead
center
on top lid..and a pressure relief fitting off to one side of top lid.   Which
consists  of just
some  1/2 inch cu tubing sticking out the top, with a 1/2 inch  cu end cap
sitting loosely
on top of it..to keep dust out.   Same deal, just scrounge some new, real xfmr
oil.

Jim   VE7RF