Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitor Value for a 160m T antenna

To: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>, Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitor Value for a 160m T antenna
From: Mike Fahmie via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 19:28:39 +0000 (UTC)
If you are only concerned with tuning out the inductive reactance, a series
capacitor can be chosen for that purpose.  The resulting Z of the antenna then
becomes 41.2Ω +j0 and the SWR drops from about 12:1 to about 1.2:1.
The equation is derived from the formula for capacitive reactance:  Xc =
1/(2*Pi*F*C)Solving for C, the equation becomes:  C = 1/(2*Pi*F*Xc).
If F = 1.9 MHz and Xc = 139Ω, then C = 603 pF

Don't ignore the voltage across this capacitor, for a KW, that voltage will be
the better part of a kilovolt
-Mike-WA6ZTY