Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitor Value for a 160m T antenna

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Capacitor Value for a 160m T antenna
From: Guy Olinger <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 16:19:34 -0500
I've had an AIM for a long time, only version 2 of the PCB. A little slow
but fully functional. However it needs a separate PC.

Check out a Sark 110.  An AIM plus a PC, plus a smartphone battery system.

73, Guy K2AV

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net
> wrote:

> That's what so nice about an AIM. It gives you all that and more on one
> screen with overlaying graphs.
> Take a multiband vertical and all the bands show up, or adjust the span to
> look at each band.  You can check the antenna and feed line from the shack
> and if properly calibrated you can see just how many feet to any
> discontinuity.  Problems with a connector?  Again, it's right there on the
> screen.  IOW, Generally you can trouble shoot the whole works right from
> the shack.
>
>   73
>
> Roger (K8RI)
>

> On 11/8/2016 Tuesday 3:31 PM, Guy Olinger wrote:
>
>> Modern toys, that's what happened.
>>
>> But there are some emerging, very efficient antennas where the old methods
>> can't possibly tell you enough to know what to do to tune it to an
>> efficient spot. They have tuning problems where you need to see separate
>> graphs of the R and X components coming to the instrument, where just
>> plain
>> SWR can (and has) take one off on a wire-pruning wild goose chase.
>>
>> Kind of like your car's oxygen sensor and computer controlled fuel
>> injection that reduces pollution from the tailpipe and improves gas
>> mileage. I remember tuning dual carbs for max revs, and other stuff. Now
>> you plug car into a computer at the dealer via a socket under the hood and
>> the computer tunes it up for you.
>>
>> But I guess I like driving around in our mid-sized Ford Fusion Hybrid
>> sedan, that gets 36 mpg with my wife's awful 2 mile round-trips to Target
>> on a cold engine driving patterns, and gets 40-45 mpg with steady highway
>> driving, once 55 with a strong tailwind.
>>
>> That worst case 36 mpg is better than we got with our 1965 VW Beetle,
>> which
>> barely had enough HP to get up some roads in the mountains.
>>
>> I do like being able to squeeze out the last 0.3 dB of antenna efficiency
>> with the modern instrumentation.
>>
>> When I get nostalgic, I can fire up my Johnson Ranger, Collins 75A3 and
>> Johnson Courier amp. I can watch the ghostly blue flickering of the 866
>> rectifier tubes in the Courier, and remember how dreadfully exciting it
>> all
>> was as a teenager.
>>
>> 73, Guy K2AV
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> You guys sure know how to take the fun out of something.  What ever
>>> happened to the time honored method of going out to the feedpoint with
>>> a SWR analyzer, plastic cutting board, fist full of clip leads, an
>>> assortment of coils and air variables, and playing with the toys until
>>> some transformation to 50 ohms is achieved?
>>>
>>> 73
>>>
>>> Rob
>>> K5UJ