Re: [TowerTalk] radial lengths ...

To: StellarCAT <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>, tower <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] radial lengths ...
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 19:09:03 +0000
IIRC, I read somewhere that a buried radial no longer adds effectiveness to a
system with increased length when its input impedance (which varies with
length) approaches its characteristic impedance (which does not).  This is
highly dependent on soil conditions and can really only be estimated.  1/4
"physical" wavelength in your context is really a 1/4 electrical wavelength in
air and is meaningless once the radial is placed on or in the ground. Remember
that the VF is affected primarily by the ground characteristics, not just the
wire insulation.

The characteristics also vary with frequency and the dynamics are not the same
at very low frequencies nor mid HF and above.

Unfortunately, a lot of what we "know" about radials and ground mounted
vertical antennas comes from the MW broadcast industry and from the engineering
practices of the 1930s. The magical 120 1/4 wave radials for an AM broadcast
system is (IMO) based on overwhelming the expected variability of local soil
conditions. Broadcast stations use 120 radials not because of any precise
engineering but because you don't have to prove actual performance when you use
that many.  In theory you could get a license to operate using fewer, but you'd
have to validate the actual performance with field measurements.  Copper is
cheaper.

Not an expert,

Al
AB2ZY