Re: [TowerTalk] Screened walls and floors

To: Chris Hoelzle <choelzle@cox.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Screened walls and floors
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 08:55:40 -0800
We built a Faraday cage big enough for an engineer and equipment and learned that a special screen material is needed. Regular copper screening has lots of crossovers that aren't really connected or worse are oxidized contacts and can make the noise worse. A tech was assigned to solder the wires in strips every 4 inches x,y,z, which took a couple of days and made for a very unhappy tech. The results were ugly but RF ok.

I don't see a benefit for a station. IMO, it's a better use of time to concentrate on a good building perimeter ground, the entry plate, good chokes, and insuring no RFI sources from equipment inside the building.

A interesting reference http://www.yccc.org/Articles/W1HIS/CommonModeChokesW1HIS2006Apr06.pdf plus the choke studies by K9YC.

Grant KZ1W