Re: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UV and WX deterioration of THHN insulation, and effects
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 20:55:15 -0800
On Sat,12/31/2016 6:56 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
I wonder if this too is a factor when the insulation is left on. There is a very noticeable difference in the force required to bend the stretched/hardened wire compared to new, unstretched wire.

Yes, it has nothing to do with the insulation. In an earlier post, I noted that I every two years, I have to circumcise my 80/40 JA fan that uses #10 stranded THHN for the 80M element. It's up about 130 ft, fed with RG11, so a lot of tension on it. I've changed to wire on the other 80/40 fan to the bare #8 solid stretched to #9.

73, Jim K9YC