[TowerTalk] noise profiles...

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] noise profiles...
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 19:20:14 -0500
Hello ... I know there is a group for this ... but I also know there are guys
on here SERIOUS about DXing and/or contesting that have had to work on these
issues so I’ve brought this here to see what responses I can get.

Two questions:

what would the spectrum profile be for a ‘grow’ farm?

and

for a plasma TV?

I have this noise that is there most every night – and goes away at some point
in tot the night. It is broad – about 36Khz wide as seen on NaP3 panadapter ...
it looks like a crater cut in profile through the center with a long raised yet
flat area that is about 3-4 db above the noise floor (non-interference part of
the band) ... and at each end there is an upturn in the noise that peaks as
high as 12db above the noise floor with a pretty sudden drop off back to the
normal noise floor. It moves a bit from night to night – it can be as high as
3515 Khz or so (bottom at ~3480) or as ‘low’ as 3505 at the high end ... AND it
appears as well at the bottom of 160 around 1810 or so!

I just checked where it was tonight and it is actually much wider tonight going
from 3470 – 3530 ... so ±30Khz and at the center there is a peak! Likewise
tonight on 160 it is at 1856 – 1888 with the same center peak.

Could this be a plasma TV? It is quite evident as noted peaking in one
direction as seen while using the HiZ 8 element receive array (dual 4 sqs).

I had this in TWO different directions .... and one of them went away around
Xmas time and so far hasn’t returned! I had hoped this might happen ... but the
other one is still there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary
K9RX