Re: [TowerTalk] torque arms or not?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] torque arms or not?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 21:15:16 -0500
The Farwell MI 2-meter repeater was on a commercial tower about the equivalent a city block distant from our house when we lived up there. I did the antenna maintenance. I had to climb around a guy bracket that was made of either 3/8ths, or 1/2 inch steel that completely enclosed the tower. Similar plates were used higher up. Guys were 1" and looked like wire rope. The tension? Hit one at the tower and it'd ring like a high pitched tuning fork well above middle C.

Whether u-bolted, or wrapped around a leg, using a single leg, weakens the tower at that point. If engineering determines the tower load is insufficient to cause a problem, then it's fine, but I wonder what the insurance co would say if it failed? Now days they have become very cost conscious and look for ways to invalidate coverage.

73,  Roger (K8RI)