[TowerTalk] Solid Al vs Solid fiberglass ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Solid Al vs Solid fiberglass ?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 15:06:23 -0800
Which is stronger,  1 inch  6061-T6  solid rod...... or  1 inch solid
fiberglass rod ?
I know what the tensile + yield  strength is on 6061-T6...... but the typ solid
fiberglass rod  gets a bit tricky.
Extrapolating from metric to queens english, it appears that solid fiberglass
rod  has a typ tensile strength
of  100 ksi, and a yield strength of 88 ksi.     I find this real hard to
believe,  but I have zero knowledge of the
typ solid fiberglass rods sold  for insulators for yagis and ants.

6061-T6  is typ listed as 48 ksi for tensile , and  39-40 ksi for yield.

I have an application where  I have to either short out the oem 1 inch solid
fiberglass rod, or  replace it with solid 1 inch 6061-T6 rod,
and this is way out on each ele half, like 200 inchs  out from the
center...with another 204 inchs of tapered al tubing beyond each insulator.
If the fiberglass is stronger, I might just short it out with an Al strap.

If I knew the aprx yield strength of the solid fiberglass, then I could plug
the numbers into  the  dx eng mech software.

Jim   VE7RF