Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ 998RT Hi-Power Remote Auto Antenna Tuner (1500 watts

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ 998RT Hi-Power Remote Auto Antenna Tuner (1500 watts)
From: Lee <L@w0vt.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 23:15:39 -0600
Woa! I just think I found a deal breaker about this tuner. It looks like there is no inside controller for the RT version! I think there is some sort of control function at the remote tuner itself. Some guys have privately written me and said with the 998 non remote model you sometimes have to tweak the setting to make the transmitter and or the amp "happy". Since this thing has no indoor controller and just a power injector inside, that would mean you are totally at the mercy of the tuners automatic function unless you first manually adjust it outside and save to memory. But on a new frequency the true setting would not be stored and I understand the 998 version infrequently comes up with a bad tuner solution. Unless this tuner would tune correctly 100% of the time, I could not commit to buying one. Too bad! What a shame. I also found out this thing is not 100% water tight and it is best to install it inside a NEMA water proof enclosure. I'm afraid this tuner has flaws I can't live with. I'll have to pass. I was hot to buy one until I found this stuff out about it. Big deal breaker in my book.

Lee, w0vt