Re: [TowerTalk] GPS for azimuth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GPS for azimuth
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 06:07:36 -0800
On 1/23/17 4:28 AM, Steve Maki wrote:
On 1/22/2017 22:25 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

For GPS to determine azimuth the observer must be moving. That works
fine in a vehicle, but not when you're walking.  Ask me how I know. :)

Or you must have two GPS antennas in one unit, separated by some
distance, usually 18" or more. We use such units to align cell antennas.
They are supposedly accurate to one degree or better.

I can't imagine how a stationary single antenna GPS can measure azimuth.

I'm not aware of any commercial systems that do this, but it is possible by designing the antenna to have a deliberately non uniform phase behavior as the spacecraft moves. That puts a "pseudo doppler" on top of the true doppler. If you've got a position fix already, and you have the current ephemeris, you know what the doppler should be and where the spacecraft is in the sky. By comparing the phase/doppler you measure with the phase/doppler expected, you can figure out the orientation of the antenna.

Much easier to just have 2 or 3 antennas separated by a couple of feet. That makes it easy to do attitude determination. It was done quite a few years ago (more than 10-15) for determining artillery position and orientation and for input to aircraft autopilots for landing assistance.