Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ 998RT Hi-Power Remote Auto Antenna Tuner

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] MFJ 998RT Hi-Power Remote Auto Antenna Tuner
From: "Terry G. Glagowski / W1TR" <w1tr@yccc.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 19:58:17 -0500
I am using an MFJ 994BRT which is similar but 1/2 the power rating of the MFJ
998RT.
(I got it used for $150 from a fellow MARS member who didn't use it anymore)
I use it for USAF MARS ALE operations at 100w 2.3 to 24 MHz using a FAN dipole
with 270
and 75 ft elements.
I use ladder line from the feed point of that to a 4:1 balun and then to the
ATU.
Then 150 feet RG8X to the shack, through a lightning arrester outside on a
ground rod.
I use a pair of MFJ BIAS TEE units, one for the remote end, one for the local
end.
Dropping the power causes it to go into bypass mode.
Powered up, it takes between 200 and 2000 msec to get tuned depending on
whether it has
previously memorized the frequency.

I have used it with an ALS-600s amplifier, and on most frequencies that works
AOK, but on
some frequencies it doesn?t like the higher power.

My concern was whether it would work in sub-freezing temperatures, but it does
AOK.
That antenna gives me good signals from 1.8-30 MHz, hi angle radiation from
2-10, and low
angle radiation from 10-30 MHz.

73, Terry / W1TR  :  )