[TowerTalk] Fwd: 40-10 meter wire antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: 40-10 meter wire antenna
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 20:08:21 -0500
I put up an, as long as possible, wire between two trees. I feed it 1/3
from one end with a ladder line I built myself. The ladder is made of #14
wire,  4 " apart. I use LEXAN as insulators 9 " spacing. I feed the ladder line
with a  LC tuner (that I also built myself). The tuner is connected to the
trx via a  choke made of RG58 would around a 4" schedule 40 about 8" long.
The windings are  tight in one end to gradually separate at the other end.
That way you get a  better bandwidth on the choke.

My wire happen to be about 240 feet long and works good on 160 - 10 meter,
but I am sure you can be successful with a shorter wire.

The impedance in your 40 meter dipole has a very high impedance at 20 meter
 which gives you a high SWR and following losses. My son discovered that
when he  erected a 33 foot vertical. It worked great on 40 and 15 but not at
20 until he  followed my advice to put a tuner next to the vertical and tune
it when he  worked 20 meter. You will have a similar problem at 20 as well.
A ladder and  tuner will improve you 40 m dipole on 20.

Good luck and 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS