Re: [TowerTalk] Introduction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Introduction
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 16:04:10 -0500
Paul, Sounds like a great project ahead.  In addition to HFTA, you need to
ask yourself "what's my goal?".  Is it DXing?  DX Contesting?  Domestic
Contesting?  A mix of all?  No answer will be optimum for all.  Then after
you think an optimum placement of the tower area is emerging, how does it
mesh with personal issues like view and proximity to the house?

I agree with Jim's 1dB of loss goal.  My farthest away tower is 400 ft from
the shack, closest is 250 ft from the shack.  My 160M phased array feed is
400 feet from the shack.  These distances are all because of separation from
the house and optimum placement on my ridge for DX contesting.  I also use
LDF5-50A for all runs to the tower and run LDF4 up the tower for 10 - 40M.

73 and Enjoy,

Ed  N1UR