[TowerTalk] Introduction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Introduction
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 15:36:54 -0800
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:30:20 -0500
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Introduction

As KK9A mentioned, the surplus market for 7/8" and larger coax will be
gradually drying up in the future. Virtually all new cell site builds
are utilizing tower top radios connected via fiber. 1/2" is still used
and will continue to be used for jumpers between the radios and
antennas, although we also are currently using "Air" antennas which have
the radios built in.

Since the cell market has been the major source of well priced surplus
Heliax style cable...get it while you can.

-Steve K8LX

##  agreed, heliax .875 inch and larger, has gone the way of the do-do bird.
I retired from the local telco back in nov 2009, and several months b4 that,
I was at a cell site one day, and saw em installing fiber optic cables to the
top
of the freestanding 90 ft tall concrete tower.   Tower originally had 4-5 huge
microwave dishes on it for a heavy route system.

##  I think G3 cell service was just being rolled out  prior to my retirement.
Several other cell carriers had ants on our tower, and one of em went the
fiber optic route 1st.   Everybody else followed.   No coax used at all on any
cell tower
these days.    Now whether the old heliax was  removed is another matter.  A
lot of times
its just left in place.  No budget for removal and shipping and disposal.  No
time  either.

##  It might get eventually removed..at great expense.   We went through semi
trailer loads of
the larger heliax.  Cell sites being slammed in every week at one point.

##  If u see it surplus, buy it if its in good shape.   But dont expect
continuous runs of much more
than 150 ft.      Earlier days they used N connectors, then later to 7-16 DIN.
If u see the surplus
7-16 dins, snag them too.  1.125 inch heliax was used quire a bit as well,
depending on freq used,
and length involved.

Jim   VE7RF