Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on tower restrictions possible new homepurchase

To: "Hank Garretson" <w6sx@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on tower restrictions possible new homepurchase
From: "StellarCAT" <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 13:53:32 -0500
My experience in contacting 'local hams and clubs' was to put it lightly terrible. For the most part no one responded... both when looking to move to Texas as well as to South Carolina. And in one case I was basically yelled at by one ham that passed along his phone number and asked me to call him ... he said "no one follows what the county says - we just put them up - WHY did you contact the country? Why would you do that?" ....

as if I'm going to invest in a future retirement home with a desire for LEGAL ham radio capability with no hassles from any neighbors regarding that legality ... THAT county actually had regulations that classified ham towers with commercial towers - they saw no distinction and they said and I quote "we are reasonably accommodating hams" ... needless to say I didn't move to that county.

Also remember if you're going to be serious (dxing and/or contesting) and if it is ok (with the spouse) try out HFTA on the potential new site - for me it was one of the bigger 'has to have/pass' criteria!

Gary
K9RX

-----Original Message----- From: Hank Garretson