Re: [TowerTalk] Check that tape !

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Check that tape !
From: RCM <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 19:48:14 -0500

> I also read rumours last year from a Belgian or German guy who was wondering
> about DC always being on a coax line and his corrosion that ensued.  This
> intrigues me as up until today I have had that RCS-4 coax switch on pretty
> much 24/7-365 for years and years, only turning it off if I am on vacation.
> A little voice inside my electronics head has to wonder if a small DC
> current on that coax for many years has contributed to my 'current' mess.
> (no pun intended)

I was led to believe a little current flow kept corrosion away.

Messing in the two way radio game for lots of years and dancing with telephone
companies over leased control lines to
remote base stations, we specified “sealing current”. Since there was no “talk
battery” voltage or “ring voltage” to keep the
connections clean.

The base stations were low level tone control and just audio up and back. No
volts.

If the phone guys swapped pairs to fix something and didn’t look at the
original order to put the current on the line, it wasn’t
long before it quit working.

I’ve fixed a few, just having them put the juice back on the pair.