Re: [TowerTalk] Bored at airport

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bored at airport
From: RCM <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:50:24 -0500
> On Feb 23, 2017, at 21:05, Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Coming back from Carribean.  During the contest last weekend I spent a lot of
> time listening or trying to get 10m to open.  Almost everyone I worked from
> Cayman Brac was in NM or West of that.  I did work a K9 in Illinois who was
> consistently S9 and never heard another station within 600 miles of him.
>
> I sent him an email to find out just what he might have been using for an
> antenna.  The answer was something I've never heard anyone using before - a
> ground up over 2 WL (70 feet high).
>
> I never heard any of the big stations like K9CT in same state, etc.  Anyone
> have a possible explanation?
>
> 73... Stan, ZF9CW

Back in the early 60’s, lots of folks thought it was worth doing.

The Mosley TA33 and Hy Gain TH3 were big time.

Both had a 10/15/20 trap vertical. Stick it on the mast above the tribander.

You told yourself you had an elevated radial system.

Played fine for ground wave with the locals, and heard stuff before you could
get the beam around.