To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 171, Issue 64
From: "George VE3YV" <ve3yv@pathcom.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:24:53 -0400
Excellent results with an 80m (sagging , but not Vee) dipole fed with open
ladder line (old TV line) or window line on all bands using a Z-match
transmatch/tuner.  Use at cottage with a 100 wt mobile rig on 80m thru 6m.
Not a pileup breaker but no slouch either.  Of course this isn't COTS
assembled - might require as much as 30 minutes to "build"  using junk box
or flea market obtained components.  In my case, former cottage owner had
salvaged the #3 copper hydro (that's Canadian for electric)  drop feeders
when they were replaced with the now standard twisted aluminium drop.  Price
and availability were right and it survives falling branches...
FWIW - Z-match is not as popular as its usually a balanced feeder design,
but having tried a number of different "tuners" over the years, Z-match
seems to have  a wider matching range than the usual T or L designs which
handle balanced feed with a balun tied on the front.

73, George VE3YV / K8HI

Message: 1