Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: OCFD

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: OCFD
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 12:44:43 -0500
Most of our antennas (those of us not going to the ISS) are not in a vacuum so the velocity factor of our antenna components is not what it would be if they were A N D the active portions of our antennas aren't an infinite distance from everything in the universe (especially conductors) resulting in yet another deviation from the theoretical. In recent decades rain water is not even close to simple distilled water but is more typically a weak acid that is a conductor. Typical antenna insulators with lots of fins to increase path length for leakage currents haven't changed much in the last several decades and have N O T kept pace with the increased conductivity of rain water.

Patrick        NJ5G