Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: OCFD

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: OCFD
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 22:33:35 -0700
On 3/28/17 7:18 PM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

On 3/28/2017 2:54 PM, jimlux wrote:

because it's not "really" an end effect or capacitance. The actual
phenomenon is that  X goes through zero at a frequency where the dipole
is not exactly a half wavelength long.  There's a lot of ways you can
analyze around it or conceptualize it, but they're just mental models.

Another way to think about it is that the propagation velocity down the
wire is not c, but slightly slower (because the wire has inductance and
free space capacitance, and you can calculate the prop velocity as
sqrt(L/C))

The trouble with this description is that it doesn't explain why the
third harmonic resonance of a dipole is greater that 3X the fundamental
(half wave) resonance.  OTOH, the "end capacitance" concept neatly
explains it.  Three times as much wire, but no additional end effects.

True enough. that's why none of the "simple" models adequately model higher order resonances (the link to the presentation covers this extensively). Even the antenna text books get a bit hand-wavey on the high order resonances - they tend to focus on the first resonance, which at least has a fairly straightforward analytical development.

And the same is true of mechanical models too, at least for "real" systems.. that infinitely thin vibrating string or rod with no internal friction doesn't exist.

I'm just glad that finite element methods are easy and fast to run these days, so we don't have to try and do antenna design with analytical equations, particular with respect to coupling between elements. With FE techniques, you are ultimately worrying about numerical precision and things like that, and that's something that for the most part you can just throw computational resources at it (e.g. run in double or triple precision, it's still fast)

OTOH, if I had to design my antennas with a slide rule and a CRC tables book, those analytical methods would be handy.