[TowerTalk] ROHN SSV ERECTION QUESTIONS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ROHN SSV ERECTION QUESTIONS
From: Greg Best <gbconsulting54@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 23:19:46 -0500
Hello. I am new to the reflector and have some questions about erecting an
SSV tower.  Mine is somewhat unique in that it was a windmill tower so it is
a beast.  It is a used tower but in very good shape but very few assembly
drawings exist. The tower is only 80 ft tall composed of 4 sections. The
bottom spread is about 8 ft and the top is only 1 foot.   I have seen the
post by Hoyt to get some ideas on how to put this together.  My two bottom
sections are disassembled while the two top sections are assembled and I
don¹t really want to take them apart but I may have to anyway just to get
them transported to my house.  The Rohn designed (for my planned loads)
foundation is 11.5 x 11.5 x 5  ft and there is a drawing that indicates some
5400 pound strength grout between the foundation and the flange that sits on
the anchor bolts.  Does anyone know where I can get this grout?  The grout
should have a slot in it (to allow the moisture to escape) which makes
sense.  I have not seen this before and wonder how necessary it is.  Having
never done anything any bigger than a Rohn 45 foldover before, this project
is daunting.  Do I need to loosen the bolts on the braces on the sections
already assembled to allow a crane to stack the tower or not?  How does one
plumb a tower with these large sections?

I am wondering about how to install the antennas also.  I am planning to put
up a ~35 ft boom with 3 elements on 30 and either 3 or 4 elements on 40
(haven¹t made that decision yet) and a large tribander above it also on a 32
ft boom. It would seem to me the best way might be to put the rotator on the
plate and attach the mast with the top section. But then the antenna stack
install appears to be much more difficult because I have to remove the
rotator at the top, figure out a way to lower the mast to install the top
antenna, push the mast back up, and then install the bottom antenna (and I
am sure I probably skipped a whole bunch of steps even more difficult).  The
other way might be to mount the antennas to the mast sitting on the ground,
(if I can find a way to stand the mast up) and then have the crane lift the
entire assembly and drop it through the tower top and thrust bearings.

I am hopeful that I am not the first person who has had this problem and I
would welcome experienced comments.

73¹s
Greg N9GB