Re: [TowerTalk] Tower location and house noise

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower location and house noise
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 08:31:50 -0500
MY "lot" is 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile (a quarter section, 160 acres) with nearest neighbors about a quarter mile away in multiple directions. As far as I can tell none of them are running industrial rated grow lamps for "indoor farming." I usually have an S-3 20m noise. I typically choose panafall display on my SDR and can be entertained watching "little critters" and other manifestations running up and down the band. Not my wall warts. My current main antennas are a 90 by 180 OCF Carolina Windom and a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower vertical. Noise levels are similar but the OCF is sometimes quieter, especially with precipitation static.

Looking forward to installing a new tower with DB42 SteppIR. Hoping the directivity will give a better S/N ratio as well as reducing the noise floor, at least in some directions.

Patrick        NJ5G