Re: [TowerTalk] Tower location and house noise

To: "Chuck Dietz" <w5prchuck@gmail.com>, <howardbochs@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower location and house noise
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 16:24:10 -0400
Whether or not the the back of the lot should be the siting choice will depend
on many factors.  Terrain Analysis is essential and it should be done with the
most utilized antenna beam headings in mind.  Most qth’s are a compromise
between different directions at different heights and different wave angles.
That is, if EU is most important for contest scores (or Dxing) then you should
make that the priority for maximum wave angle coverage for whatever bands you
are going to use.  Back of the lot may NOT be best, or some other location on
the lot may be better.  What is best for the antenna(s) may not be best for
noise and/or other factors.  It is not a simple process if you take everything
into account and do it properly.  Ideally you should look at several different
spots and run the terrain analysis for different directions and different
antenna height configurations on different bands and then sit with it for a few
weeks while you digest it all.  Since you are not going to move the tower once
you dig the hole and put it up, your best bet is to do a slow and thorough
analysis and then “sit with it”.  Many future years of performance will depend
on a few weeks of analysis done properly now, so take your time.  You will be
well rewarded for your diligence and patience.

Unless there are other important considerations, I would avoid the back for
several reasons.

1) You will get lower angle lobes by putting the tower up near the top of the
property, than you will if you put it lower down.  You will hear better and
stations will hear you better.  Almost like having an amp on txmit and preamp
on rcv but without actually using one.   :-)

2) You don’t want the property draining down into your tower base, not do you
want to be doing antenna work on a slippery downhill slope on the land.

3) If you hang wire antennas off the tower, you will want them as high up as
possible, not have their height compromised by staring up at the top of a hill.

4) If the tower is in the front of your house and EU is in front of your tower,
then you will be pointing away from any house noise sources and your antenna
pattern will help to null them out, rather than if your antennas are pointing
at the house.  Of course it is also important to know whether or not your tower
and antennas will be very close to your neighbors.  Remember the FCC
calculations that we are supposed to perform for our stations and antennas.

5) The way to find out if you have any neighbor noise sources is to make a few
wire simple directional wire antennas for each band and put them up in the
trees and operate that way for a few weeks – months.  You will quickly find out
where the noise sources are and that can inform your tower citing strategy.

You should also realize that all noise sources are worse on certain bands and
better on others and this includes high voltage power lines on right-of-ways
from the power companies.  Some potential noise sources that we intuitively
fear turn out to be minor or nothing at all whereas other things that we
discount or are not even aware of turn out to be disastrous – like a leaky
power line insulator that could be easily noticed  with a directional spotting
antenna.

There are more factors of course, but these are most of the major ones.

I performed all of these steps before putting up my towers in 1998.  It saved
me years of needless grief and regrets.  And in 1994 before I even bought the
property, I drove up with a radio and a dipole and tested the noise and qrn at
this location just to make sure that before I got serious about the house and
property, I knew that it was going to be a good location.

73 and GL!

Bob  KQ2M