[TowerTalk] Modify Force 12 C-31XR to create mono-band

To: <towertalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Modify Force 12 C-31XR to create mono-band
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 00:34:24 -0700
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 09:30:52 -0700
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: w5wz@xxxxxxxx, towertalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OWA ?

<Why? What is the goal?

If you want an Al pile to make 3 monobanders, there are probably cheaper
ways to buy the Al.  In any case two more booms are needed.

The "handbook" and other (e.g. G0KSC)  mono-bander "free" designs are
good to superb.   From my limited experience with interlaced design
modeling my estimate is 1db or unlikely 2db more gain and somewhat
cleaner pattern than a tri-band interlaced design if same net boom
length per band.   I think it unlikely you will have successful
mono-banders by just de-interlacing the existing C-31XR elements.  Each
resulting monobander will need to be modeled and optimized.  I would
suggest investing in an NEC4 package and Dan AC6LA's great AutoEZ optimizer.

What I have learned in my modeling is great respect for successful
interlaced designs like the C-31XR and the JKantenna designs.  It's hard
to put everything on one boom and get performance very near to that of
mono-banders.

Grant KZ1W

## He may just want to Re-use the 20-15-10m eles  from his C31-XR  as a source
of tubing.  IMO, if you want tubing, buy it new from DX engineering, since its
cheap.
Then sell the C31-XR as a complete yagi.

## JK antennas  indeed does have interlaced arrays that have slightly MORE gain
than their
individual  counterparts.

##  On a similar note,  JK ants  has revamped  a lot of the legacy F12 yagis,
re-designed on
NEC-4..and also updated mechanically .  The 5BA has also been re-designed, with
better performance
than the original, with 2-3  less eles.

##  If the OP just wants 3 monobanders, start from scratch, sell the C31XR..and
buy tubing from dxe, and
build your 3 x monoband  owa   style yagis.

Jim  VE7RF