Re: [TowerTalk] Yet another used W51 (base/foundation) ??? de K6LPM

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yet another used W51 (base/foundation) ??? de K6LPM
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 17:20:04 -0700
Well said, Chris. Actually, 1/2x4x4" angle is enough - works for a HDX589 with 4x 1" bolts.;-) UST multi pass welds that custom bent angle to their reinforced "T" base.

I've made said design base scaled down for 40' Tri-Ex crank up, and now am working on one for an LM470. A turkey sandwich is a better deal even with the holes drilled on my 5hp mill and steel cut on a horizontal bandsaw. Everything needs to align after the welds cool and that takes some skill. The reason I need to make the LM470 base is the garage shop job for the prior owner made one badly out of square & flat & on the light side structurally. NIMBY.

Relatively speaking the fab is straightforward and the engineering is definitely not. I've done simple structures, and these aren't, but good copies of the factory bases well executed with the proper materials should/might be ok. Caveat emptor 'tho. For example Brian, how do you know the factory plates are "mild steel" and also the grade of the rebar?

Grant KZ1W