Re: [TowerTalk] Yet another used W51 (base/foundation) ??? de K6LPM

To: southbound suarez <southboundsuarez@hotmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yet another used W51 (base/foundation) ??? de K6LPM
From: w6rgs@cox.net
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 01:22:15 -0700
Having read your email and the numerous replies, here's my reply.
I have a W-51 that I got from an SK estate several years ago. I, too, thought of how much I could save by making my own base. Then, I got smart. I bought the RCB37/51 base from Tashjian. I also bought the personalized installation manuals for the base and tower. I followed all of the directions in those manuals. Even spent $500 on a county building permit. The installation was inspected and signed off.

My homeowner's insurance will cover any damage or accidents, because I installed it according to the manufacturer's instructions. I don't have to worry if I used the proper type of rebar (rebar does vary in quality and strength) or if the concrete was done properly. There are some projects where you can "wing it", but I do my best not to take unnecessary risks by cutting corners. Cost a little more, but I sleep quite well. Your email sounded as if you understand the dangers of being wrong. I'd suggest calling Karl Tashjian to help you make a wise decision.
I wish you good luck.
73  Bill W6RGS