Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (no subject)
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 11:15:57 -0700
On 6/14/17 10:44 AM, JVarney wrote:
Thanks Kurt for the very interesting history of
how antenna square footages came to be. If we walk
through TIA-222-G it will illustrate Kurt's point that
just giving a square footage isn't that helpful:

====
Gh is a "gust factor"
EPA is the Effective Projected Area

(EPA) = Ka[(EPA)N cos2(θ) + (EPA)T sin2(θ)]

I think you have to evaluate the above at "all angles" and pick the worst case

Yeah, it really comes down to either giving the breakdown of actual projected areas, and let the user figure out the final EPA for their particular exposure, or give a fairly complete table.

The computations aren't hideously complex, but aren't something I'd want to do with a hand calculator or slide rule. So If I were manufacturer who wanted to be helpful, I'd pick some representative situations and run the calculations for those, but also give all the assumptions (gust factors, etc.)