Re: [TowerTalk] TH7 and high swr on 20m only

To: "Ted Boerkamp" <tboerkamp@cogeco.ca>, "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TH7 and high swr on 20m only
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:11:48 -0700
I had a similar problem with high SWR on 20. Checked coax first but it was OK. I found a 15M reflector trap with corroded screws. Figured I'd better check them all and found most of the trap screws in a corroded condition. I replaced them with SS screws using a non-washout conductive grease after cleaning the contact areas. Antenna works great now.

The following came from the HyGain guy at MFJ:

A high 2 or 3:1 SWR without moving the frequency usually means that a front or back trapped element has a problem.

               A 10 meter director trap might be open.

               A 15 meter reflector trap might be open.

An SWR in the 5:1 or higher range would generally indicate a 15 or 10 M DE trap being bad.

Again, these tips came from the HyGain tech at MFJ and proved accurate. The HyGain tech also provided details for checking the TH7 traps electrically. I found them very helpful.

Learned quickly how to easily disassemble/reassemble the traps and I'm glad I took the time to do so. Mine was one of the original early TH7's so had up a lot of years, the last 15 in a heavy salt air environment.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Ted Boerkamp