Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna & Tower Wind Load Ratings

To: jvarn359@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna & Tower Wind Load Ratings
From: Kurt Andress <andresskurt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:13:07 -0700
Jim Varney,
I think you are describing the basic problem correctly!
But, I think it is important to notice some possible caveats that do occur and are relevant to the discussion. Having only one maximum "projected area" for each antenna, is not always useful for every tower/antenna installation! I have found that for almost all HF yagis, the area of the elements will be higher than the area of the boom. But, that doesn't always apply to long boom VHF/UHF antennas. Sometimes, their booms will have a higher "projected area", and in some cases like the Innov Antennas, UK configurations, which utilize square booms, the higher Cf(Cd) also needs to be applied to the projected area to produce the actual loads on the tower structure in that wind exposure direction. Additionally, I have encountered installations where antennas were not all pointed in the same direction on a Mast/Tower..... Example: a 40m yagi above a tribander is installed 90 degrees off of where the tribander is pointed to minimize deleterious RF interaction! We need to know both antenna areas, for each of the antennas, and where they are positioned on the support structure to figure out which wind impingement direction provides the worst case loads on the antenna support structure (tower)!

I did not intend my initial post go much further than simply reminding this reflector of the problem I cited around the early days when it first came on line, nothing has changed and it really needs to be changed.....antenna manufacturers and tower designers need to all be on the same page, and they are not! I would love nothing more than to sit down with all these entities and straighten out this eternal disconnect, that is not correct, and is not supporting those that purchase, and those that try to design their products!

Thank you again for contributing to the discussion!
73, Kurt, K7NV